Registration is open for the August 16-17 Briess Malt + Brew Workshop. This is a hands-on educational workshop with technical presentations, a sensory session and tours of the specialty Chilton Malthouse, large Manitowoc Malthouse and 500bbl brewery/extract plant.
Registration to the workshop is required and limited to 45 participants currently working in a licensed commercial brewery or in a brewing-related capacity. Cost is $150.00 which includes meals. Transportation and lodging are not included. To register, request a registration form from firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here for more information.
About the Workshop
Experience firsthand the art of handcrafting and brewing with specialty malts at Briess Malt & Ingredients Co. in Chilton, Wis. This two-day workshop features presentations by guest and Briess speakers with in-depth tours of Briess malting/roasting operations and 500bbl brewhouse/extract plant.
In a hands-on sensory class, attendees will sample Congress Worts to better learn the flavors and aromas of eight specialty malts, then sample finished beers made with each malt. Presentation topics include the Briess barley supply chain from grower to brewer, production and acquisition of malting barley, the art of handcrafting specialty malts in small batches, flavor and color contributions of specialty malts, understanding a malt analysis, production of malt extract in a 500bbl brewhouse and development new barley varieties for American Craft Beer.
2017 Speakers Include:
- Guest Speaker—Joe Hertrich, Retired Group Director, Brewing Raw Materials, Anheuser-Busch, Inc.
- Guest Speaker—Jace Marti, Assistant Brewmaster and head of the sour program at August Schell Brewing Company
- Bob Hansen—Technical Services Manager
- Betsy Roberts —Quality Manager – Malt Ingredients
- Cassie Liscomb — Technical Service Assistant and co-developer of the ASBC Hot Steep Method
- Dan Bies — Technical Services Representative
- Mike Scanzello—Director of Brewing & Distilling
- Penny Pickart—Division Manager Central
The workshop kicks off Tuesday, August 15, with a Wisconsin Beer, Brats, Burgers ‘n’ Bowling social at one of the local’s favorite taverns here in Chilton. If you plan on attending the workshop and staying at the hotel in Chilton (Best Western Stanton Inn), reserve your room by Friday, July 8, in order to capture the workshop group rate. The block of rooms will be released the next day.