(0) Search Results for:Filter Results
Channel The Flannel Wheat
The early era of American wheat beer was an interesting mish-mash of styles, born out of necessity in Pacific Northwest brewpubs. By the early 1990s, a slightly hoppy form emerged and is echoed in this recipe.
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Recipe Type: Extract with grain
Recipe Contributed By: Briess Technical Team
Quantity Ingredient Comment Malt Style 2 lbs Briess CBW® Bavarian Wheat Dry Malt Extract 60 min boil 1 lb Briess Brewers Red Wheat Flakes Steeping grain 0.5 lb Briess Brewers Malt Steeping grain 0.25 lb Briess Caramel Malt 10L Steeping grain 0.5 oz Cascade Hops (5.5% AAU) 60 min boil 0.5 oz Cascade Hops (5.5% AAU) 5 min boil 3.3 lbs Briess CBW® Pilsen Light Liquid Malt Extract 0 min boil 1 pack White Labs WLP051 California V Ale Yeast Fermenter 1 capsule Servomyces Yeast Nutrient 10 min boil
- Bring 2.5 gallons of water to 152°F and steep grains for 30 minutes.
- Remove grains and stir in 2 lbs of CBW® Bavarian Wheat DME.
- Bring water to a boil and add 1 oz of Cascade hops.
- After 50 minutes, add yeast nutrient.
- Boil 5 minutes and add 1 oz of Cascade hops.
- Boil 5 additional minutes and turn heat off.
- Stir in 3.3 lbs of CBW® Pilsen Light LME until dissolved.
- Cool beer to 70°F. Transfer to fermenter. Fill to 5 gallons with water.
- Pitch one pack of White Labs WLP051 California V Ale yeast.
Primary Fermentation: 1 week at 66°F - 70°F.
Secondary Fermentation: 2 weeks at 66°F - 70°F.
Fermentation Notes: Force carbonate or bottle condition with ¾ cup dissolved priming sugar, and ¼ packet of WLP051 California V Ale Yeast for 2-3 weeks.
Original Gravity: 1.046
Final Gravity: 1.011
Alcohol by Weight:
Alcohol by Volume: 4.5%