(0) Search Results for:Filter Results
One Mighty Fine Barleywine
If you're looking for something to age, maybe for the holidays, or you've got a bourbon barrel to fill, give this barleywine a try. It's been built to age with over 100 IBUs of hops and has an ABV of 11.4%. Cap or cork the bottles with some wax - you'll keep carbonation in and oxygen out during the aging process.
Style: Other Ale
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Recipe Type: Extract with grain
Recipe Contributed By: Briess Technical Team
Quantity Ingredient Comment Malt Style 12 lbs CBW® Golden Light DME 60 min boil 1 lb Aromatic Munich Malt Steeping grain 1 lb Caramel Malt 40L Steeping grain 1 oz Amarillo® Hops (8.5% AAU) 60 min boil 3 oz Amarillo® Hops (8.5% AAU) 30 min boil 1 oz Amarillo® Hops (8.5% AAU) 10 min boil 3 packs WLP002 English Ale Yeast Fermenter 2 packs WLP099 Super High Gravity Ale Yeast Fermenter 1 capsule Servomyces Yeast Nutrient 10 min boil
- Bring 3 gallons of water to 152°F and steep grains for 30 minutes.
- Remove grains and stir in 12 lbs of CBW® Golden Light DME.
- Bring water to a boil and add 1 oz of Amarillo® hops.
- In 20 minutes, add 1 oz Amarillo® hops and yeast nutrient.
- After 10 more minutes, turn off heat.
- Cool beer to 68°F. Transfer to fermenter. fill to 5 gallons with water.
- Pitch three packs of White Labs WLP002 English Ale Yeast.
Primary Fermentation: 3 weeks at 66°F-68°F.
Secondary Fermentation: Pitch two packs of White Labs WLP099 Super High Gravity Ale Yeast. Ferment 2 weeks at 65°F-69°F.
Fermentation Notes: Force carbonate or bottle condition with 3/4 cup dissolved priming sugar and 1/4 packet of WLP099 yeast for 3-4 weeks. Age up to 2 years.
Original Gravity: 1.105
Final Gravity: 1.021
Alcohol by Weight:
Alcohol by Volume: 11.4%