Green with Briess
Our Sustainability Initiative
Briess Environmental Mission Statement
Briess respects the environment and makes a conscious effort to minimize the environmental impact associated with our operations. We continuously seek improvements and foster partnerships that make more efficient use of natural resources to reduce pollution, emissions, and waste. We are dedicated to maintaining a healthy balance between environmental stewardship, social equity, and economic stability for the well-being of our community as a sustainable business.
‘Green With Briess’ has reduced energy consumption and emissions the equivalent of over 15 million miles being driven each year since 2006.
Timeline of Accomplishments
Briess implements a formal sustainability program—Green With Briess—and announces its acceptance into the Department of Energy’s Save Energy Now program. An energy audit of all production facilities establishes a baseline of usage. Thermal imaging further pinpoints areas of electrical and heat loss.
Briess is awarded the DOE’s Energy Saver Award for meeting or exceeding 7.5% total energy savings from 2006-2008. Acting on recommendations of the energy audit and thermal imaging reports, reductions were realized through a combination of process change and capital improvements.
Briess is recognized for environmental stewardship by Wisconsin Manufacturers & Commerce with a Business Friend of the Environment Award-Medium Size Company.
Briess is accepted into the Wisconsin DNR Green Tier Program, a voluntary initiative that recognizes and rewards environmental performance exceeding legal requirements related to health, safety, and the environment.
Briess is accepted as a “Green Professional” into the Wisconsin Green Masters Program for demonstrating continued commitment to sustainability in the business sector. The program, an arm of the Wisconsin Sustainable Business Council, is an idea exchange of more than 165 Wisconsin businesses helping each other improve their sustainability initiatives.
20% reduction in natural gas use at the Extract Plant
CO2 emissions were reduced to the equivalent of 4.5 million fewer miles being driven each year:
- Heat exchange systems recover hot water streams for reuse in cleaning and boiler systems
- Heat generated by drying operations is recovered and reused throughout the plant
10% reduction in natural gas use at the Chilton Malthouse
CO2 emissions were reduced to the equivalent of 900,000 fewer miles being driven each year:
- Air-to-air heat exchangers were installed on kilns which decreased natural gas consumption by 25%
- New operating procedures reduced natural gas consumption to produce roasted malts with 20% energy reductions
20% reduction in natural gas use at the Chilton Malthouse
Natural Gas usage was reduced to the equivalent of 1.8 million fewer miles being driven each year
- Additional reductions from air-to-air heat exchangers
8% reduction in electrical use at the Chilton Malthouse
CO2 emissions were reduced to the equivalent of 200,000 fewer miles being driven each year
10% reduction in energy use at the Extract Plant
CO2 emissions reduced to the equivalent of 2 million fewer miles being driven each year
- New heat exchange system
New Extract Plant heat exchange system reuses water, reducing annual water usage by 3.5 million gallons
- Clean discharge water from the Extract Plant is being repiped into surface storm basins, reducing the need to treat 6 million gallons of water annually
Conversion from Freon to Ammonia Refrigeration
Eliminated ozone-damaging greenhouse gases and reduced energy consumption by 20%
99% of all Waste Streams are Recycled
- Used as cattle feed and fertilizer by local farming operations
- High-strength waste helps generate a continuous 1.5 megawatts of electricity at a local farming operation
General Efficiencies and Conservation
- Strict maintenance programs assure equipment and vehicles operate at peak efficiency
- Clean-in-place reduces chemicals needed to clean/sanitize to food-grade requirements
- All product packaging is recyclable
- Office paper, toner cartridges, cardboard, and glass are recycled
- All campuses are smoke-free
- Incandescent lighting is being replaced with high-efficiency lighting