Here’s a malty twist to the traditional Valentine’s Day sugar cookie. Snitch 1/4 cup of Briess Caramel 40L Malt from your malt stash, mill into flour using a standard coffee grinder then bake these for your beer soul mate. The caramel malt adds a nice touch of color and flavor…plus it’s whole grain!
- 2/3 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup Briess Caramel Malt 40L ground into flour
- In a large mixing bowl beat sugar and butter together. Add baking powder and salt. Mix until well blended. Beat in egg, milk and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Beat in flours 1/4 cup at a time. Chill dough for 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough one-eight to one-fourth inch thick. Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out cookies. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Baked at 375ºF for 8-9 minutes, or until edges are firm. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Frost with buttercream frosting, cream cheese or your favorite frosting tinted pink. Sprinkle with red sugar.