Looking for a cool, tasty treat this 4th of July? Look no further – this unique, malty twist on ice cream sandwiches will be the hit of your holiday festivities.
Amber Ice cream
|Granulated Sugar||1/2 cup|
|Heavy Cream||2 cups|
|Whole Milk||1 cup|
|CBW® Sparkling Amber LME||1/4 cup|
- In a large saucepan, whisk together sugar and cornstarch until completely combined. Pour in cream, milk and CBW® Sparkling Amber LME and whisk until well blended.
- Cook mixture over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture comes to a gentle boil.
- Reduce heat and allow mixture to gently bubble stirring constantly for 30 seconds.
- Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl.
- Cover mixture with plastic wrap pressing it directly onto the surface of mixture to prevent skinning.
- Refrigerate until fully chilled, then transfer to freezer and freeze one hour.
- Transfer ice cream mixture to an ice cream maker follow manufactures direction.
- When ice cream is complete transfer to airtight container and freeze until nearly firm.
While freezing prepare:
“Malt” lasses Cookies
|All-purpose flour||2 cups|
|Baking Soda||1 tsp|
|Cinnamon ground||1 tsp|
|Ginger ground||1 tsp|
|Cloves ground||1/2 tsp|
|Unsalted butter (room temperature)||1/2 cup|
|Dark Brown Sugar||1 cup|
|Safflower Oil||2 tbsp|
|Maltoferm® CR45 LME||1/3 cup|
|Granulated sugar||for coating|
- Blend flour, baking soda, salt and spices in a small bowl
- In large bowl cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy
- Add malt extract, egg and vanilla to sugar mixture and beat until well blended
- Slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture, mix until completely incorporated
- Cover and chill dough for 1 to 2 hours
- Remove dough from refrigerator and allow to stand for 10 – 15 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Form dough into 1 inch balls and roll in granulated sugar
- Place on parchment lined cookie sheet and gently press dough down with the bottom of a drinking glass
- Bake 9 – 10 minutes
- Cool completely
Assemble ice cream sandwiches
- For each ice cream sandwich, place 1 scoop of Amber ice cream (⅓ cup) between 2 Maltlasses cookies
- Gently press cookies together ice cream should spread to edges of the cookie
- If desired, roll some of the cookie edges into colored sprinkles (red and blue) or favorite toppings
- Wrap each sandwich individually in plastic wrap and place all in a resealable freezer bag
- Freeze until needed