Skip the pumpkin pie this Thanksgiving and treat your family to a platter of warm, fresh-from-the-oven Malted Wheat Pumpkin Muffins for dessert. The addition of Briess Malted Wheat not only bumps up their whole grain content, but adds a subtle malty boost of flavor. Top them off with Briess Insta Grains® Oat Flakes (the same ones you use in Oatmeal Stout and other beers), and you’ve made a hearty and healthy dessert, breakfast or anytime snack for these cool fall days.
Malted Wheat Pumpkin Muffins
- 1-1/2 cups—Whole Wheat flour
- 1/2 cup—Briess Malted Wheat (use a coffee mill to grind into a fine flour)
- 1-1/4 cups—Briess Insta Grains® Oat Flakes (divided)
- 2 tsp—Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp—Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp—Salt
- 2 tsp—Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix*
- 1 cup—Buttermilk**
- 3/4 cup—Pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup—Granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup—Brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup—Vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp—Vanilla
- Preheat over to 400ºF
- Line 12 muffin tins
- In large bowl mix together whole wheat flour, malted wheat flour, 1 cup oat flakes, baking soda, baking powder and all spices.
- In medium bowl whisk together buttermilk, pumpkin puree, vegetable oil, vanilla and egg.
- Add wet ingredients to dry. Stir until completely incorporated.
- Equally divide the batter among the 12 muffin tins and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup oat flakes.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test.
*Make your own Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix by mixing together 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp ground cloves and 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg)
**Make your own Buttermilk by mixing together 1 cup milk and 1 tsp vinegar. Let stand 10 minutes.