This sticky toffee pumpkin pudding cake recipe is proof that Halloween treats aren’t just for kids anymore. I kicked up the flavor a notch or two with some of my favorite Briess ingredients — CBW® malt extracts. CBW stands for “Concentrated Brewers Wort.” Why? Because our malt extracts are brewed in a 500bbl brewhouse (check out the pic below) then, rather than ferment the wort, we evaporate it into the thick, syrupy liquid used by homebrewers and commercial brewers alike. Did you know that malt extracts are also used in many commercial food applications for natural sweetness, flavor and function like browning?
The other thing I like about our malt extracts is that all the rich flavors come from specialty malts, never additional time in the kettle. If you don’t have any on-hand, CBW malt extracts are available at many homebrew shops and online stores. I hope you like the recipe! You may want to wash it down with a seasonal Pumpkin Ale or two 🙂
CBW® MALTY PUMPKIN CAKE
|Pumpkin puree||3/4 cup||165||15.81%|
|Date paste*||1/2 cup||90||8.63%|
|Almond milk (try the unsweetened vanilla style)||1-1/4 cup||305||29.23%|
|CBW® Traditional Dark||1 tbsp||21||2.01%|
|Coconut oil, melted||2 tbsp||26||2.49%|
|Pure vanilla extract||1/4 tsp||1||0.10%|
|Ground cinnamon||1 tsp||2.8||0.27%|
|Baking powder||1 tsp||5||0.48%|
|All purpose flour||1 cup||128||12.27%|
|TOFFEE SAUCE RECIPE||Volume||Grams||%|
|CBW® Sparkling Amber||1/4 cup||80||7.67%|
|Coconut milk||2/3 cup||162||15.53%|
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a baking dish with coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, prepare the pumpkin cake batter by whisking together all the cake ingredients until smooth. Pour into greased baking dish and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the edges have set but the center is still pudding-like.
- While the cake is baking, make the toffee sauce by heating all the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat until almost boiling. Then turn the heat down and simmer and reduce. Be sure to occasionally give it a stir.
- Poke holes over the surface of the baked cake using a fork. Pour toffee sauce over the surface of the cake, allowing it to sink into the holes. Serve warm with ice cream (vegan as necessary) and an extra drizzle of toffee sauce.
*Date Paste Ingredients
- 1 cup pitted dates packed
- 1/2 cup very hot water
- Combine dates and hot water in a bowl and let sit for 1 minute. Massage with fingers to help soften.
- Place dates and all the liquid in a blender and process for 30 seconds or until completely smooth.