I had to post a picture of the Ould Ale I brewed with Colby Chandler down at Ballast Point last month (previous post here) as the beer and the beer color are most excellent! This beer, called 8.5 On The Richter Scale, is a big giant malty product that hides the almost 9%ABV quite well. The flavor of the soon-to-be-rolled-out CARAMEL RYE malt (65L) definitely has a different twist to it than a typical caramel malt made from barley; a little spicy with more mouthfeel maybe? Colby tells me that this beer flew out of their new Little Italy pub. All of the color on this beer came from the caramel rye malt, it was 10% of the grist bill with the other 90% being Briess 2Row Brewers malt. Thanks to the Ballast Point crew for sending some bottles up to me in Seattle before it was all gone!