Got some Briess Rye Malt in your stash of brewing grains? If so, you’re all set to make St. Patrick’s Day extra memorable this year. This bread bowl recipe relies upon a small amount of Rye Malt Flour and Roasted Barley Grits to really kick up flavor and eye appeal. Mill Briess Rye Malt into flour and coarsely grind Briess Roasted Barley into grits in a coffee grinder.
Fill the bowl with a heaping serving of Irish Mulligan Stew and serve it with an Irish Red Ale. You’ll be serving a feast fit for a king, the Irish and everyone who claims to be Irish on March 17!
Multigrain Bread Bowls
- 1-1/2 cups — Bread Flour
- 1/2 cup — Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 cup — Whole Grain Rye Flour
- 2 tbsp — Malted Rye Flour (milled in a coffee grinder)
- 1/2 tsp — Salt
- 1 tbsp — Roasted Barley Grits (coarsely milled in coffee grinder)
- 1 tbsp — Wheat Berries or Pearled Barley (presoaked)
- 3/4 tsp — Instant Dry Yeast
- 2 tbsp — CBW® Pilsen Light or CBW® Golden Light LME
- 2 tbsp — Olive Oil
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup — Warm Water (100º – 110º F)
- Mix grains, salt and yeast together in a large bowl. Stir in olive oil, malt extract and water. Mix well then turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes. The dough should become smooth and pliable. Form dough into ball and place in greased bowl, making sure to turn dough over to coat all sides with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and set in warm area for 1 hour or until dough doubles in size.
- When dough has doubled in size, divide in half for bread bowls. Place each half on wax paper. With rolling pin, roll as thin as possible without tearing. If dough does not roll easily, let it relax an additional 5 minutes. Cut rolled dough into 6 to 8-inch circles; drape these circles over back side of a lightly oiled small Pyrex bowl. If you wish to use as a cracker bowl, run dough through a pasta roller on setting number 4 and drape dough over lightly greased back of muffin tins. Make sure that the dough does not touch between muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated 400F oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- To remove, cool bowls 1 minute and slowly rock bowls or muffin tins back and forth until they come loose. Turn over and cool on wire rack.