Stop by the Briess Booth #1008 at the AHA HOMEBREW CON 2016 Homebrew Expo June 9-11 for your FREE 8 oz. sample of Briess Caramel Rye malt and recipe sheet which includes more recipes like this below, including recipes for a Bawlmer ESB and Baltonator Bock.
“Hon”ey Brown Ale Recipe
You are going to love this brown ale, hon. The malt complexity added by the Caramel Rye and Extra Special Malt hold their own against the flavor of honey.
Style: American Brown
Batch Size: 5 gallons (19L)
Recipe Type: Extract & Steeping Grains
Recipe Contributed By: Briess Technical Services Team
|3.3 lbs||Briess CBW® Sparkling Amber Liquid Malt Extract (LME)||60 min boil|
|8 oz||Briess Caramel Rye Malt||Steeping Grain|
|8 oz||Briess Extra Special Malt||Steeping Grain|
|8 oz||Briess Chocolate Malt||Steeping Grain|
|1 oz||Hallertau Hops (4.5% AAU)||60 min boil|
|1 oz||Liberty Hops (4.0% AAU)||10 min boil|
|2 lbs||Briess CBW® Pale Ale Dry Malt Extract (DME)||0 min boil|
|1 lb||Honey||0 min boil|
|1 pack||Fermentis Safale S-04 Dry Yeast||Fermenter|
- Bring 2.5 gallons of water to 152°F and steep grains for 30 minutes.
- Remove grains and stir in 3.3lbs of CBW® Sparkling Amber LME.
- Bring water to a boil and add 1oz of Hallertau hops.
- After 50 minutes, add 1oz of Liberty hops.
- Boil 10 minutes and add turn heat off.
- Add 2lbs of CBW® Pale Ale DME and 1lb of honey.
- Cool beer to 70°F. Transfer to fermenter. Fill to 5 gallons with water.
- Pitch one pack of Fermentis Safale S-04 Dry Yeast.
Primary Fermentation: 1 week at 65°F -70°F.
Secondary Fermentation: 2 weeks at 65°F -70°F.
Fermentation Notes: Force carbonate or bottle condition with ¾ cup dissolved priming sugar for 3-4 weeks.