Thanksgiving is typically a time for reminiscing and getting together with friends and family to share a harvest-time feast. Demonstrate your creative side and start a new tradition with these Pumpkin Rolls. The savory malt flavor is highlighted by pumpkin in these delicious, slightly sweet treats.
Ingredients (items in bold are Briess ingredients):
- 3/4 cup milk or non-dairy alternative (185g)
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (185g)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar (55g)
- 2 TBSP Maltoferm® CR-451 #5746 (20g)
- 1/3 cup sugar (75g)
- 6 TBSP butter or non-dairy alternative (85g)
- 1 large egg or equivalent egg substitute (55g)
- 1 tsp salt (7g)
- 2, 1/2 oz packs yeast (16.8g)
- 1 tsp sugar for yeast (5g)
- 2 TBSP lukewarm water for yeast (32g)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour (720g)
- 30 pecan quarters for stems
- 2 TBSP White Grain Sorghum Extract 45DE (#6142) – optional
- Pour hot milk in a mixing bowl, add butter and stir to melt.
- Mix Maltoferm® CR-451 #5746 with regular sugar to avoid clumping.
- Add sugar + malt mix, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, and salt to the scalded milk and mix well.
- In a small bowl, proof yeast in 2 TBSP lukewarm water with 1 tsp sugar. When foamy, add to pumpkin mixture, add egg and mix well.
- Gradually add flour and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined. Dough will be sticky.
- If using an electric mixer, attach a dough hook and beat the mixture until the dough pulls from the side of the bowl. The alternative is to knead by hand on a floured surface until dough is no longer sticky.
- Form dough into a ball shape, place in a greased bowl and cover with cloth. Let rise in a warm place until it doubles in volume, about 1 hr.
- Punch the dough to deflate and kneed it for a few seconds on a floured surface. Cut the dough in half. Cut each half into 15 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball. Using a knife, make 8 cuts around the ball to mimic flower petals but leave the center uncut.
- Poke the center of the flower-shaped dough with your finger or the end of a round wooden spatula (dip the end in flour) to make a hole for the stem (pecan piece) later. Repeat the procedure for all the dough pieces.
- Place them 2” apart on a baking pan lined with parchment paper or baking mat. Let rise until doubled, about 45 min.
- Preheat oven at 350°F for 20 min.
- If the center indentation is not obvious, you can gently make the circle again, but be careful not to deflate the rolls.
- Brush with egg wash if you wish.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes until the top of the rolls are golden.
- Brush the rolls with melted butter or diluted White Grain Sorghum Extract 45DE (#6142).
- Insert pecan slices in the center of the pumpkin rolls to mimic the stem.
Remember, whatever shape you make…pumpkin🎃 or circle, the rolls will taste maltlicious!