Red ale has become one of the best styles for hop experimentation, providing a great malty backbone for all those high alpha varieties on the market. Australian Galaxy hops have made a name for themselves, and soon you’ll see why in this well-balanced ale. Recipe for 5 US gallons (19L).
|3 lbs||Briess CBW® Pale Ale Dry Malt Extract||60 min boil|
|0.5 lb||Briess Bonlander® Munich Malt||Steeping Grain|
|1 lb||Briess Caramel Malt 20L||Steeping Grain|
|2 oz||Briess Midnight Wheat Malt||Steeping Grain|
|0.5 oz||Galaxy™ Hops (13.0% AAU)||60 min boil|
|0.5 oz||Galaxy™ Hops (13.0% AAU)||10 min boil|
|3 lbs||Briess CBW® Pale Ale Dry Malt Extract||0 min boil|
|2 packs||White Labs WLP006 Bedford British Ale Yeast||Fermenter|
|1 capsule||Servomyces Yeast Nutrient||10 min boil|
- Bring 2.5 gallons of water to 152º F and steep grains for 30 minutes.
- Remove grains and stir in 3 lbs of CBW® Pale Ale DME.
- Bring water to a boil and add 0.5 oz of Galaxy™ Hops.
- After 50 minutes, add 0.5 oz of Galaxy™ Hops and Servomyces Yeast Nutrient.
- Boil 10 additional minutes and turn heat off.
- Stir in 3 lbs of CBW® Pale Ale DME until dissolved.
- Cool beer to 70º F. Transfer to fermenter. Fill to 5 gallons with water.
- Pitch two packs of White Labs WLP006 Bedford British Ale Yeast.
Primary Fermentation: 1 week at 65º – 70º F
Secondary Fermentation: 2 weeks at 65º – 70º F
Fermentation Notes: Force carbonate or bottle condition with 3/4 cup dissolved priming sugar for 3-4 weeks.
Original Gravity: 1.054º
Final Gravity: 1.013º
Alcohol by Volume: 5.3%
Color: 16º Lovibond