At the commence of Spring, as the snow melts and the howling of the winter winds subsides, apparatus are hung and tied to maple trees. With the rustle of your feet beneath lie remnants of the fall and what mother nature covered in her white winter beauty…and if you listen closely drip…drip…drip as the sugary sweetness has arrived from the bellows of the tree trunk.
Collecting sap is centuries old and dates back to the 1600s and has historical significance in northern regions of Canada and Northeastern U.S. Wisconsin ranks third among the states in the production of maple syrup and maple products were one of the state’s earliest agricultural products. https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Article/CS1821
Inspired by this rich heritage and seeing firsthand the steam rising out of sugar shacks in our local community, I began a quest to brew a homebrew beer with Maple Sap! I replaced my brewing water with locally sourced maple sap, and it was an exciting adventure.
Showcasing Briess Full Pint Brewers Malt, Caramel 80L and Chocolate Malt allowed for a frothy mash with the maple sap. The recipe is for 6.5 U.S. gallons (24.60L).
- OG: 1.052
- FG: 1.020
- ABV: 4.47%
- IBU: 10.36
- COLOR(SRM): 38.04
- 1.1g Calcium Chloride/Water Agent-Pre Mash
- 1.1g Epsom Salt /Water Agent-Pre Mash
- 0.5 tsp Beer Nutrient/Water Agent-Pre Mash
- 10 lbs/Briess Full Pint Brewers Malt (milled)/Mash Grain 48% grain bill
- 1 lb/Briess Caramel 80L Malt (milled)/Mash Grain 4.8% Grain Bill
- 1 oz/Briess Chocolate Malt (milled)/Mash Grain 4.8% Grain Bill
- 1 lb/Briess Rice Hulls/Lautering
- 8.35 lb Maple Sap 40% Bill
- 0.5 lb Maltodextrin 2.4% Grain Bill
- 1 oz/Willamette (3.4% AAU)/60 min boil
- 1 pack/Wyeast-London ESB Ale 1968/Fermenter
- 0.5 oz/Whirlfloc Mash-Final 5 minutes
- 2 oz Untoasted Oak Chips/Primary Fermenter
- Mash grains in 7.5 gallons of maple sap at 160°F for 60 minutes
- Perform no sparge technique and transfer all the mash liquor straight to boil kettle
- Bring to boil
- Add 1 oz Willamette Hops
- Boil for 60 minutes
- Add 0.5 oz Whirlfloc into Mash-Final 5 minutes
- Turn heat off and cool wort to 68°F
- Transfer to fermenter, add 2 oz Untoasted Oak Chips
- Pitch one pack of Wyeast-London ESB 1968
FERMENTATION: 2 weeks at 66-70°F
FERMENTATION NOTES: Force carbonate, or bottle condition with dissolved priming sugar or keg as desired.