Here’s a recipe to help get you in that springtime mood. This traditional German-inspired bock is brewed in the cooler months and lagered into spring to develop a clean, malty profile while maintaining a gentle hop character.
We added an interesting twist to this five-gallon, all grain batch by using Ashburne® Mild Malt as part of the base. At 5.3º Lovibond and 65DP, Ashburne® Mild can stand on its own as a base for beers that call for a strong malt backbone. Since all that maltiness (and light toasty flavor) would be overpowering in a lager, we partnered it with our very light colored/flavored Pilsen Malt in this recipe — and it’s a home run. For a printer-friendly version, visit the Briess Recipe Database.
Don’t despair, extract brewers. I’ve offered an all-extract version using CBW® Pilsen Light and CBW® Munich LME. The whole grain malts we use to brew these two extracts include healthy doses of Briess Pilsen and Briess Munich Malts. We think you’ll enjoy the results. Happy lagering!
Gregorian’s Fifth (Maibock)
- Type: Lager
- Style: Bock
- Batch Size: 5 gallons
- Recipe Type: All Grain (For all extract substitute 1-3.3 pound canister of CBW® Pilsen Light and 1-3.3 pound canister of CBW® Munich for the Pilsen, Ashburn® Mild, Aromatic and Carapils® Malts.)
- Recipe Contributed By: Briess Technical Services Team
- 8 lbs—Briess Pilsen Malt
- 4 lbs—Briess Ashburne® Mild Malt
- 1.5 lbs—Briess Aromatic Malt
- 0.5 lbs—Briess Carapils® Malt
- 1 oz—Hallertau Hops (5% AA)—60 minute boil
- 0.5 oz—Tettnanger Hops (4% AA)—30 minute boil
- 0.5 oz—Tettnanger Hops (4% AA)—10 minute boil
- 2.5 vials—WLP840 American Lager Yeast
- Mash at 154-156ºF for 45 minutes.
- Boil 60 minutes
- Sparge at 170ºF
- Knock out at 65ºF
- Oxygenate highly
- Cool to 60ºF
- Oxygenate and pitch yeast
- Primary Fermentation: 14-28 days at 53ºF
Secondary Fermentation: 3 months at 35ºF
- Fermentation Notes: Bottle condition 1 month with 0.5 vials WLP840 American Lager Yeast
- Original Gravity: 1.067
- Final Gravity: 1.017
- Alcohol by Weight: 5.3%
- Alcohol by Volume: 6.6%
- IBU: 29
- Color: 9 SRM