Wheatwine has become a popular seasonal style for breweries in the winter months. With its sweet and strong backbone, it’s a great style to age. We took this behemoth of a beer and added a nice healthy dose of hoppy citrus goodness.
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Recipe Type: Extract with grain
Recipe Contributed By: Briess Technical Services Staff
|5 lbs||Briess CBW® Bavarian Wheat Dry Malt Extract||60 min boil|
|5 lbs||Briess CBW® Bavarian Wheat Dry Malt Extract||0 min boil|
|1 lb||Briess Brewers Malt||Steeping Grain|
|0.5 lb||Briess Wheat Malt, Red||Steeping Grain|
|0.5 lb||Briess Caramel Munich 60L||Steeping Grain|
|1 oz||Mosaic Hops (12% AAU)||60 min boil|
|2 oz||Mosaic Hops (12% AAU)||20 min boil|
|1 oz||Mandarina Bavaria Hops (9% AAU)||10 min boil|
|1 oz||Mandarina Bavaria Hops (9% AAU)||5 min boil|
|2 oz||Mandarina Bavaria Hops (9% AAU)||0 min boil|
|2 packs||WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast||Fermenter|
|1 capsule||Servomyces Yeast Nutrient||10 min boil|
- Bring 2.5 gallons of water to 152°F and steep grains for 30 minutes.
- Remove grains and stir in 5 lb of CBW® Bavarian Wheat DME.
- Bring water to a boil and add 1 oz of Mosaic hops.
- After 40 minutes, add 2 oz of Mosaic hops.
- In 10 minutes, add 1 oz Mandarina Bavaria hops.
- Boil 10 more minutes and add 1oz Styrian Aurora hops, and yeast nutrient.
- After 5 more minutes, add 1oz Mandarina Bavaria hops.
- 5 minutes later, turn off heat. Add 2oz Mandarina Bavaria hops.
- Cool beer to 70°F. Transfer to fermenter. Fill to 5 gallons with water.
- Pitch two packs of While Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast.
Primary Fermentation: 1 weeks at 67°F -70°F.
Secondary Fermentation: 2 weeks at 67°F -70°F.
Fermentation Notes: Force carbonate or bottle condition with ¾ cup dissolved priming sugar, and ¼ packet of WLP515 yeast for 3-4 weeks.
Original Gravity: 1.091
Final Gravity: 1.019
Alcohol by Weight: 9.5%
Alcohol by Volume: