Here’s another reason to keep Chocolate Malt and Caramel Malt on hand. Chocolate Malt Brownies! With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, this is the perfect time to make a batch. Then treat your Valentine to a nice pairing of Chocolate Malt Brownies and a rich, flavorful beer like Imperial Stout. These two roasted malts contribute so much rich, chocolate flavor that there’s no need to supplement with cocoa powder. Sub Dark Chocolate Malt for the Chocolate Malt if you’d like. Enjoy!
Chocolate Malt Brownies
- Granulated Sugar – 3 cups
- All Purpose Flour – 3-2/3 cups
- Butter (softened) – 1-1/2 cups
- Eggs – 3 large or 4 medium eggs
- Chopped Pecans (optional) – 1 cup
- Caramel 40L Malt (ground into flour) – 2/3 cup
- Chocolate Malt (ground into flour) – 1/2 cup
- Vanilla Extract – 1/2 tbsp
- Water – 2-1/2 cups
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease large pan (17- ½ “x 11- ½ “).
- Combine flour, Chocolate Malted Barley Flour, Caramel 40 Malted Barley Flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
- In mixing bowl, combine butter, sugar, and water. (For a more cake-like brownie, increase water slightly.)
- Mix on low speed for 30 seconds. Stop. Scrape sides of bowl and continue to mix on low for 1 minute.
- Stir in eggs and vanilla.
- On low speed, slowly incorporate flour mixture into butter mixture, stopping to scrape sides frequently.
- Mix for 1-2 minutes on low speed. Add nuts. Batter will be stiff.
- Spread into greased pan and bake for 30-35 minutes.