The rich roasted malt adds an exciting punch of flavor to these delightful bites of red cake. Frosted with cream cheese or white frosting and paired with a Briess Chocolate Malt-infused beer like Brown, Sweet Stout or Porter, and you’ve got a Valentine’s treat that’s definitely not like a box of chocolates.
Malty Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup—Butter, Softened
- 1-1/2 cups—White Sugar
- 2—Large Eggs
- 1 cup—Buttermilk*
- 1 fluid ounce—Red Food Coloring
- 1 tsp—Vanilla Extract
- 1-1/2 tsp—Baking Soda
- 1 tbsp—Distilled White Vinegar
- 2 cups—All Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup—Chocolate Malt (grind into a smooth flour in coffee grinder)
- 1 tsp—Salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease two 12-cup muffin pans or line with 24 paper baking cups
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the eggs, buttermilk, red food coloring and vanilla.
- Stir in the baking soda and vinegar.
- Combine the flour, Chocolate Malt flour and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the liquid mixture and stir just until blended.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pans.
- Bake in preheated oven until the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 20-25 minutes.
- Cool and frost
* Substitute buttermilk with 1 cup milk and 1 tbsp lemon, stir and let stand 5-10 minutes.